The Idaho State Department of Agriculture has confirmed the presence of quagga mussels in the Centennial Waterfront Park area of the Snake River in Twin Falls. Closures are in place until further notice. For your safety, stay out of the water. Learn more.
Official Government Website

General Information on Drinking Water

A drinking water system provides water for human consumption through pipes or other constructed conveyances. A drinking water system is a Public Water System (PWS) if it has at least 15 service connections or regularly serves an average of 25 or more people for at least 60 days per year.

A PWS can be one of three types:

  • Community Water System – Serves at least 15 service connections or 25 people year-round in their primary residences (e.g., cities, towns, apartment complexes, and mobile home parks with their own water supplies).
  • Nontransient Non-community Water System (NTNCWS) – Serves at least 25 of the same people over 6 months per year (e.g., schools, churches, factories, and hospitals that have their own water supplies).
  • Transient Non-community Water System (TNCWS) – Serves an average of at least 25 people, but not necessarily the same people, over 6 months per year (e.g., campgrounds, rest stops, and gas stations that have their own water supplies).

Additionally, a PWS may be a consecutive system if it receives some or all of its finished water from one or more wholesale systems. Delivery from a wholesale system to a consecutive connection may be through direct connection or through the distribution system of one or more consecutive systems.

Where Does Drinking Water Come From?

Approximately 95% of the state’s drinking water comes from ground water sources. The remaining 5% is supplied through surface water sources.

This accordion will not appear on the screen

Drinking Water Bureau Chief

Tyler Fortunati
(208) 373-0140

ver: 3.5.1 | last updated:
Jump back to top of page button