Official Government Website

Crop Residue Burning

Crop residue is vegetative material remaining in the field after harvest. Burning crop residue in a controlled manner can improve crop yields, decrease herbicide and pesticide use, and control disease, weeds, and pests.

DEQ’s Crop Residue Burning (CRB) program is designed to protect public health while allowing growers to burn under certain conditions. The program is managed by DEQ on lands other than Indian reservations in Idaho. DEQ implements the CRB program for the Kootenai Tribe of Idaho through a Memorandum of Understanding. 

Most agricultural burning requires a permit under DEQ’s CRB program.

DEQ ensures smoke from approved burns does not adversely impact institutions with sensitive populations, which includes public schools while in session, hospitals, residential health care facilities for children, the elderly or infirm, and other institutions with sensitive populations as approved by DEQ.

Institutions wishing to become a recognized institution with sensitive populations under the CRB program should submit a request as described in the Policy on Reviewing a Request for Institution with Sensitive Population Status for the CRB Program.

CRB Grower Hotline (208) 373-0332 or toll-free at (866) 224-2456

Smoke Complaint Hotline and Burn Decision Information (800) 345-1007

Contact a DEQ regional office nearest you.

Subscribe at the bottom of this page for daily burn decision updates.

Send me an email when this page has been updated

ver: 3.5.2 | last updated:
Jump back to top of page button