Official Government Website

Hangman Creek Subbasin

Data Details
Hydrologic Unit Code 17040216
Size 607 square miles (388,587 acres)
Beneficial Uses Affected 607 square miles (388,587 acres)
Major Land Uses Range, forest, agriculture, recreation
Date Approved by EPA Subbasin assessment only; not subject to EPA approval

Subbasin Characteristics

The Hangman Creek subbasin is located above the Coeur d’Alene Tribal boundary, where the rolling hills of the Hangman Creek valley meet steep mountainsides. The subbasin is forested, although some openings have been created for other land-use activities. The primary land use is timber management, with residential development along major roads and livestock grazing at lower elevations; 77% of the subbasin is privately owned and the remaining 23% is federal national forest ownership.

2007 Subbasin Assessment and TMDL

The document addresses two assessment units within the Hangman Creek subbasin. Sediment, temperature, and bacteria TMDLs were developed for seven named streams within these two assessment units. These streams include Hangman, South Fork Hangman, Tenas, Martin, Conrad, Hill, and Bunnel Creeks. The pollutants originate solely from nonpoint sources.

Sediment was determined to be present in excessive quantities and impairing the cold water aquatic life use designation. Sediment generated from roads, mass failures, and streambank erosion was characterized to determine the amount of sediment load reduction needed to restore beneficial uses. The target load capacity was set at 50% above natural background.

Temperature TMDLs were written following data that revealed exceedances of Idaho’s numeric water quality temperature standard. Solar radiation was determined to be the factor most easily controllable and manageable in reducing stream temperatures. A decrease in solar radiation requires an increase in stream shading. Potential natural vegetation (PNV) was selected as the desired target for the TMDL. If the targets are achieved, yet stream temperatures are warmer than numeric criteria, it is assumed that the stream’s temperature is natural, and natural background provisions of Idaho water quality standards apply.

Bacteria TMDLs were written because water quality monitoring data indicated that the beneficial use of secondary contact recreation was not being fully supported. The source of bacteria is unknown. Further monitoring will be needed to determine the source of contamination. Known possible sources include domesticated and wild animals and/or human contributions from recreation or septic systems.

Some water bodies in this subbasin were also listed for habitat alteration and/or nutrients. No TMDL was completed for habitat alteration as a matter of DEQ policy. This document recommends delisting for nutrients due to recent data showing low levels of total phosphorus.

2007 TMDL: Streams and Pollutants for Which TMDLs Were Developed

Stream Pollutants
Hangman Creek Sediment, temperature, bacteria
South Fork Hangman Creek Sediment, temperature, bacteria
Tenas Creek Sediment, temperature, bacteria
Martin Creek Sediment, temperature, bacteria
Conrad Creek Sediment, temperature, bacteria
Hill Creek Sediment, temperature, bacteria
Bunnel Creek Sediment, temperature, bacteria

Subbasin Document(s)

This accordion will not appear on the screen

DEQ Coeur d’Alene Regional Office
2110 Ironwood Parkway
Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814
Ph: (208) 769-1422
Fax: (208) 769-1404
Toll Free: (877) 370-0017

ver: 3.5.0 | last updated:
Jump back to top of page button