Protecting Public Health and the Environment.

How to Obtain an EPA Identification Number

What is an EPA Identification Number?

An EPA hazardous waste generator identification number is a unique number that is assigned to sites that generate specified amounts of hazardous waste or engage in certain other hazardous waste, used oil, or other RCRA-regulated activities. It is used by states and EPA to track hazardous waste and other RCRA-regulated activities.

The number is 12 characters long. The first two characters are the postal code for the state ("ID" for Idaho). The third character can be a letter or a number. The next 9 characters are numbers.

A complete identification number looks similar to the following: IDR000123456.

Who Needs an EPA Identification Number?

If you generate more than 220 pounds (100 kilograms) of hazardous waste or
2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) of acutely hazardous waste in any calendar month, you need an EPA identification number. Also, if you accumulate more than 2,200 pounds (1,000 kilograms) of hazardous waste at any one time, you must obtain an EPA identification number.

In addition to generators, companies that transport hazardous waste and facilities that store, treat, or dispose of regulated quantities of hazardous waste generated by sites must also have EPA identification numbers. Typically, the requirement applies to entities engaged in the following types of activities:

  • Hazardous waste generation (including episodic events)
  • Hazardous waste transportation
  • Hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal
  • Hazardous waste fuel marketing
  • Hazardous waste fuel burning
  • Used oil fuel marketing
  • Used oil fuel burning
  • Used oil transportation and transfer
  • Used oil processing and re-refining
  • Large quantity universal waste handling
  • Subpart K academic lab activity
  • Hazardous secondary material (HSM) activity
  • Recognized trader for hazardous waste exports and/or imports
  • E-manifest broker

Hazardous waste transportation entities based in another state that already have an EPA identification number do not need to apply for an EPA identification number in Idaho. However, out-of-state transporters should contact the Idaho Transportation Department at (208) 334-8688 for Port of Entry or trip permit information.

Does My Business in Idaho Already Have an EPA Identification Number?

Your business may have been previously assigned an EPA identification number. If so, the number may still be valid or it may need to be updated before using. To find out if you already have a valid number or if it needs to be updated, contact DEQ's Hazardous Waste Management Program at (208) 373-0502.

How Do I Apply for an EPA Identification Number in Idaho?

You must fill out an application form and submit it to DEQ. Complete one copy of the form for each facility that generates or handles hazardous waste. There is no fee associated with filling out this form. Each site or location will receive its own unique EPA identification number. Fill the form out completely and correctly, and sign the certification.

Mail the originally signed form to the following:

Rene Anderson
DEQ State Office
Waste Management & Remediation Division
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 83706

What Information Do I Need?

The following information is required on the application form:

  • Name of facility
  • Location and mailing addresses
  • Land type
  • Contact person name, address, email address, and phone number
  • North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code
  • Owner’s name, contact information, and date of becoming owner
  • Operator’s name, contact information, and date of becoming operator
  • Type of activity engaged in
  • Types of hazardous waste handled if you are a hazardous waste handler (These are listed by waste code in the instruction booklet containing the application form.)
  • Certification (signature) and date

How Long Does It Take?

It can take up to two weeks to obtain an EPA identification number in Idaho. In emergency situations, the process can be faster.

What Do I Do with an EPA Identification Number?

Your EPA identification number must be included on the following:

  • All shipping manifests for transporting hazardous wastes
  • All biennial and annual reports that generators of hazardous waste and owner and operators of hazardous waste TSD facilities must file with DEQ
  • All applications for federal hazardous waste permits
  • All other hazardous waste management reports and documentation required under RCRA, Subtitle C

You also may be asked for your number by other businesses.

Staff Contacts

Hazardous Waste Data Analyst
Adam Oliver
DEQ State Office
Waste Management & Remediation Division
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 83706

DEQ Resources

Your Guide to Obtaining an EPA Identification Number in Idaho

Related Pages

How to Determine Your Generator Status