Spokane River Watershed Advisory Group (WAG)
WAGs provide local public input and guidance to DEQ during the development of water quality improvement plans or TMDLs for water bodies that fail to meet water quality standards. TMDLs are designed to reduce the levels of pollutants, such as bacteria and sediment, in impaired water bodies.
Content on this page is provided for informational purposes while the Spokane River WAG and DEQ work to develop a TMDL to address cadmium, lead, and zinc contamination within the watershed. Through this cooperative effort and continued public involvement, DEQ's goal is to develop a comprehensive plan aimed at restoring all beneficial uses within the watershed.
Next Scheduled Meeting Date
Tuesday, April 4, 2017, 1 to 4 p.m.
DEQ Coeur d'Alene Regional Office
Osprey Conference Room
2110 Ironwood Parkway, Coeur d'Alene
We will discuss load values and steps forward.
The Idaho portion of the Spokane River flows westerly approximately 10 miles from the outlet of Coeur d’Alene Lake to the Idaho/Washington border in northern Idaho. The Idaho portion of the Spokane River is wholly located in Kootenai County and flows through the communities of Coeur d'Alene, Huetter, and Post Falls.
DEQ has identified that past Spokane River water concentrations of cadmium, lead, and zinc exceed Idaho water quality standards criteria.
- Cadmium Lead and Zinc in the Spokane River: Recommendations for Total Maximum Daily Loads and Waste Load Allocations (Washington State Department of Ecology)
- Spokane River Dissolved Metals TMDL (Washington State Department of Ecology)
- Options for Expressing Daily Loads in TMDLs (EPA)
- Washington Spokane River metals TMDL
- Spokane River Cadmium, Lead, and Zinc Analysis Result
- Spokane River Cadmium, Lead, and Zinc Monitoring Quality Assurance Project Plan
- Spokane River Metals TMDL WAG Review Draft April 2016 Strategy Paper
- March 7, 2017
- Preliminary and Partial Load Values (presentation)
- Chart Handout
- Table Handout
- December 9, 2016
- Data Set Progress and Verification (presentation)
- Graph Handout
- Using the DEQ FTP Site Instructions
- Restoration Partnership Plan (presentation)
- Restoration Partnership Plan Brochure
- Restoration Partnership Plan Handout
- October 4, 2016
- Call for Data Progress / Integrated Report Comments (presentation)
- Strategy Paper Discussion (presentation)
- September 6, 2016
- Public Comment: 2014 Integrated Report
- City of Post Falls Comments on Strategy Paper
- City of Coeur d'Alene Rebuttal to Strategy Paper
- June 14, 2016
- Treatment of Metals via Water Reclamation Facilities (presentation)
- May 3, 2016
- Spokane River and Coeur d'Alene Lake Operation (presentation)
- Aquatic Life Criteria: Cadmium, Lead, and Zinc (presentation)
- Call for Data Progress
- April 5, 2016
- Idaho BAG and WAG Process (presentation)
- Purpose and Objectives of a Cadmium, Lead and Zinc TMDL for Spokane River (presentation)
- Idaho Water Quality Standards (presentation)
- DEQ 2013-2015 Monitoring Results (presentation)
- SW TMDL Kaizen Process Flowchart
- TMDL Introduction