DEQ Seeks Public Comment on Draft Final Points of Compliance Determination for East Smoky Panel Mine
Accepting Comments from October 2, 2019 to November 21, 2019
The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is seeking public comment on a draft Final Point(s) of Compliance (POC) determination for the J.R. Simplot Company’s (Simplot) East Smoky Panel Mine. The draft Final POC would require J.R. Simplot Company to implement the following best management practices at the East Smoky Panel Mine:
- Maximum 3H:1V grading of overburden slopes to reduce surface water runoff velocity.
- Use of chert and low seleniferous materials as fill and road material.
- Snow disposal areas where melt would flow to sediment control ponds.
- Drainage and diversion channels to divert run-on around disturbance areas.
- Placement of overburden material in approved pit backfills to limit exposure.