Accepting April 30, 2022, through June 1, 2022, at 5:00 pm MDT.
The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is seeking a second public comment on the 2022 draft Idaho Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (IPDES) permit and fact sheet for the city of Troy’s Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP). The city of Troy’s WWTP applied for a wastewater discharge permit for its facility, located at 4008 Highway 8, Troy, Idaho 83871. The second public comment is restricted to the following revised sections of the draft IPDES permit and fact sheet:
- Permit Tables 2 and 3 – Ammonia effluent limits and monitoring requirements
- Permit Section 3.1 – Compliance schedule for ammonia
- Fact Sheet Table 8 – Ammonia effluent limits and monitoring requirements
- Fact Sheet Section 18.104.22.168 – Ammonia criteria
- Fact Sheet Table 12 – Comparison of 2004 and 2022 effluent limits for ammonia
- Fact Sheet Section 5.1 – Compliance schedule for ammonia
The following sections have been revised to reflect sludge and biosolid permitting being delegated to IPDES in 2021 and new 2022 water quality standards for fecal indicators (E. coli/Enterococci). These updates do not result in effluent limit or reporting changes; therefore, they are not open for public comment:
- Permit Table 1 – E. coli with the inclusion of Enterococci as an indicator option
- Fact Sheet Section 2.1.4 – Sludge/Biosolids
- Fact Sheet Table 8 – E. coli with the inclusion of Enterococci as an indicator option
- Fact Sheet Section 22.214.171.124 – Fecal Indicators
- Fact Sheet Section 3.6 – Antibacksliding – E. coli
- Fact Sheet Section 7.3 – Sludge/Biosolids
The draft permit authorizes the discharge of treated municipal wastewater year-round to West Fork Little Bear Creek for five years. The permit identifies the pollutants of concern and specifies associated discharge limits. Additionally, the permit specifies monitoring and reporting requirements necessary to ensure compliance with the permit and protect human health and the environment.
Written comments on the revised sections of the draft permit and fact sheet will be accepted through June 1, 2022, at 5:00 pm MDT. The draft permit and fact sheet are available for public review at DEQ’s State Office (1410 N. Hilton St.), DEQ’s Lewiston Regional Office (1118 F Street, Lewiston, ID 83501), and on DEQ’s website. A public meeting may be held, if requested in writing, by May 16, 2022.
Comments and questions regarding this process should be directed to Triffie Ransom or on DEQ’s Public Comment page. Comments should address water quality considerations and include supporting materials where available. Comments should also reference the City of Troy and permit number (ID0023604).
Please submit requests for a public meeting electronically on DEQ’s website, by mail, or by email to Triffie Ransom.
Surface and Wastewater Division
1410 N. Hilton St.
Boise, ID 83706