Protecting Public Health and the Environment.

Crop Residue Burning

The crop residue burning (CRB) program is designed to enable growers to burn under certain conditions while protecting public health from smoke impacts. The program is managed by DEQ on lands other than the five Indian reservations in Idaho.

Crop residue is defined as any vegetative material remaining in the field after harvest, or vegetative material produced on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) lands. It includes whole fields, pastures, spots within a field or pasture, broken bales in the field that they were generated during the time of harvest, CRP lands, food plots, and blanching or flaming operations. It does not include vegetation along ditch banks, fence lines, orchard prunings, or forest slash piles.

Under the CRB program, growers must obtain approval from DEQ before burning by registering for a Permit-by-Rule at least 30 days before they want to burn. Detailed information on when and where the burn is to take place is required on the registration. A $2 fee per acre burned applies to crop residue burning. Crop Residue burning fees will be invoiced at the end of the year and invoices will be mailed out the first week of January. Growers with unpaid invoices from the previous year will not be eligible to burn until all fees have been paid.

Burn days are limited to weekdays during daylight hours only. Burning on weekends and state and federal holidays is prohibited. Burning can only occur in fields where the crop residue was generated.

The program requires DEQ to ensure smoke from authorized burns does not adversely impact institutions with sensitive populations, including public schools while in session, hospitals, residential health care facilities for children, the elderly or infirm, and other institutions with sensitive populations as approved by DEQ. DEQ Policy Memorandum 10-03 outlines the procedures by which other institutions may apply for sensitive population status and DEQ's process for evaluating and approving such requests.

Grower Information

Idaho Fire Safety Burn Permits

Individuals living outside city limits anywhere in Idaho who plan to burn for any reason—including crop residue burning and excluding recreational campfires— during closed fire season, must obtain a fire safety burn permit.

If you live inside city limits and you plan to burn, a permit from your local fire department may be required.

As a convenience to the grower, DEQ's crop residue burning application communicates with the Idaho Department of Land's (IDL) burn permits system to assist in issuing IDL burn permits. IDL burn permits for crop residue burning may only be obtained through DEQ's system. DEQ's crop residue burning application contains links to view the IDL burn permit. For questions about fire safety permits, contact IDL at 866-581-6498.

Grower Online Tool - Register / Pay Fees / Submit Post-Burn Report

Grower Log-In

Online registration is preferred. A hard copy paper registration form is also available.

Need help identifying your location? Google Earth | BLM Township, Range, & Section Display


For help registering for a CRB permit, click here

If you need help with a spot and bale registration, click here

If You Don't Want to Pay Online

Make check payable to:
Idaho Department of Environmental Quality

Send registration and applicable fees to:
Idaho Department of Environmental Quality
CRB Program
Crop Residue Burning Registration
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 83706

Spot and Baled Agricultural Residue and Propane Flame Burning

These permits were developed to reduce the administrative requirements for burning very small amounts of residue while still protecting public health. Burning under these permits is only allowed on DEQ-designated burn days for the county where the field is located and within the designated burn window, which may include weekends and holidays.

A spot and bale agriculture residue burn permit is valid for a calendar year and requires a $20 nonrefundable permit fee, which is valid for no more than 10 acres per year and no more than 1 acre per day. Keep all burn records for two years from the registration date as DEQ may request these records.

DEQ evaluates air quality and meteorological conditions to determine whether burning under these permits is permissible. Burning may be allowed if pollutant levels are within an acceptable range and smoke is expected to disperse with minimal impact to public health and safety, including special consideration for institutions with sensitive populations (e.g., hospitals and schools).




Growers must have completed DEQ training in proper burning techniques and good smoke management within the past 5 years. Training may be completed online or at in-person training sessions. Note: this online training works best in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer 10. 

Online Training

Annual Report

Each year DEQ prepares an annual report that reviews and analyzes the year's burn season. The report includes a summary of meteorological conditions affecting the burn season, an assessment of the burn-decision process and acres burned, an analysis of the causes of any measured air pollution levels above the program-defined concentration limits and an assessment of the circumstances associated with any reported endangerment to human health associated with a crop residue burn, a summary of trends in crop residue burning throughout the state, and a summary of program modifications and planned program improvements.

Advisory Committee

The next CRB Advisory Committee meeting will be held on February 18, 2020, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the DEQ State Office (1410 N. Hilton St.)

Page Subscription

Staff Contacts

Smoke Management Analyst
Tami Aslett
DEQ State Office
Air Quality Division
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 38706
(208) 373-0443

Smoke Management Supervisor
Mark Boyle
DEQ Coeur d'Alene Regional Office
2110 Ironwood Parkway
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
(208) 666-4607

Air Quality Planning Bureau Chief
Mary Anderson
DEQ State Office
Air Quality Division
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 83706
(208) 373-0202

Crop Residue Burning Grower Hotline

(208) 373-0332 or toll-free at (866) 224-2456

Crop Residue Burning Complaint Hotline and Burn Decision Information

(800) 345-1007

DEQ Resources

Crop Residue Burning in Idaho: What Growers Need to Know

Crop Residue Burning in Idaho: What Growers Need to Know (Spanish version)

Crop Residue Burning and Smoke Management: A Guide for Citizens

Crop Residue Burning Operating Guide
This guide serves as the agency’s crop residue burning smoke management program implementation tool. It describes in detail the overall and day-to-day operation of the program, including grower and DEQ requirements during the burn and nonburn seasons.

Open Burning of Crop Residue State Implementation Plan (SIP) Revision

2017 Crop Residue Burning Ozone State Implementation Plan Revision: Weight of Evidence to Demonstrate Program Concentration Threshold Protective of National Ambient Air Quality Standards

2017 Crop Residue Burning Ozone State Implementation Plan Revision: Additonal Photochemical Modeling Analysis

More Information

Picture Your Residue

Rules for the Control of Air Pollution in Idaho (Sections 617-623)

Smoke from Agricultural and Forest Fires

Related Pages

Daily Crop Residue Burning Decision Reports