Meridian Creamery - Meridian
The Meridian Creamery site lies within the heart of Meridian's Old Town district, a mixed-use area located in downtown Meridian, Idaho. The site, which covers approximately 4 acres of commercial and industrial lots, is located at the intersection of Broadway Avenue and Meridian Street. The site contained four buildings: the main creamery building, a boiler house with a landmark smoke stack, a warehouse, and a garage and pump building. The complex was constructed in stages from 1929 until 1944 to serve the needs of the creamery, which was owned by the Ada County Dairymen's Association. The creamery ceased operations in the 1970s. From the 1970s until early 2006, the site was used mainly as an automobile and auto parts storage facility and a paintball recreational facility. The property presented itself as a blight and attractive nuisance for over two decades.
Meridian Creamery Groundbreaking Video - Part 1 (16 minutes)
Meridian Creamery Groundbreaking Video - Part 2 (6 minutes)
Site Investigation Process
In 2003, at the request of the city of Meridian, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 10 Targeted Brownfields Assessment Program conducted site assessment activities at the former creamery to document the extent of perceived contamination at the site. Prior to EPA's involvement, the site was the subject of three environmental assessments (1993, 2000, and 2002), which included petroleum storage tank removals, a historical record and property condition assessment, and a limited soils and asbestos survey. EPA's investigation documented potential environmental concerns at the creamery. In 2004, at the request of the city of Meridian and EPA Region 10, DEQ conducted additional assessment activities at and around the creamery. Results of this assessment confirmed that the property was ready for revitalization.
The EPA and DEQ assessments were key factors in a private development company's decision to purchase the property. After conducting some cosmetic cleanup at the creamery, the developer sold the property to the city of Meridian. In November 2006, the city hosted a demolition celebration at the old creamery to kick off the demolition and redevelopment of the property. The city redeveloped the property as Meridian's new municipal complex, solving the need to bring all city services to a common location downtown.
The new complex is a $25 million LEED certified building in the heart of downtown Meridian.
Completed Meridian City Hall on the former Meridian Creamery site.