2011 Idaho Water Reuse Conference
The 2011 Idaho Water Reuse Conference was held May 24 and 25 in Boise, Idaho. This was the seventh year of the Idaho Water Reuse Conference. The planning group for the 2011 conference included DEQ, Basic American Foods, Bowen Collins & Associates, Brown and Caldwell, CH2M Hill, Cascade Earth Sciences, CENTRA, Forsgren Associates, HDR, Inc., J.R. Simplot Co., J-U-B Engineers, Keller Associates, Inc., Pharmer Engineering, Sorrento Lactalis, and U.S. EPA.
May 24, 2011: Water Reuse Today and Tomorrow
- Reuse Permitting in Idaho, Richard Huddleston, Wastewater Program Manager, Idaho DEQ
- Critical Turning Points in the History of Water Reuse in the U.S., Robert Bastian, EPA Headquarters
- Sustainable Removal Mechanisms and Monitoring Requirements for Soil Aquifer Treatment System, Peter Fox, Arizona State University
- Challenges in Regulating Industrial Food Processing Waste Discharges to Land - Lessons Learned from California, Jo Anne Kipps, California Regional Water Quality Control Board (rec. retired)
- Future of Rapid Infiltration in Land Treatment, Robert Beggs and Ron Crites, Brown and Caldwell, California
- 2011 Revised Reuse Rules, Richard Huddleston, Wastewater Program Manager, Idaho DEQ
- Talking About Water: Vocabulary and Images that Support Informed Decisions about Water Reuse, Emily Callaway, CH2M Hill, Portland
- Microbial Pathogens and Fecal Indicator Bacteria in Reuse Water and other Venues: Caveats and Emerging Detection Technologies, Valerie Harwood, University of South Florida
- Wastewater Phosphorus Removal and Environmental Life Cycle Assessment, Dr. Erik Coats, University of Idaho
- Wastewater Reuse for Biofuel Production, Issa Hamud and Erick Griffiths, City of Logan, Utah
- Sorrento’s Experience with Sand Filtration, John Prigge, Sorrento Lactalis
- Cloth Media Filtration, Tracy Crane, City of Meridian
May 25, 2011: Reuse Case Studies
- Case Studies: Shaping Water Reuse Practices in the U.S., Robert Bastian
- Fate of BOD and Nitrogen in Land Application of Food Processing Wastewater to a Clay Loam Soil, Mitchell Johns, CSU Chico, Robert Beggs, Brown and Caldwell, Ron Crites, Brown and Caldwell, California
- Reuse and Other Disposal Alternatives to address phosphorus and temperature TMDLs for Ashland Oregon, J. Bledsoe and L. Rupp, Keller Associates
- Biogas Case Study, Henry Hamanishi, J.R. Simplot Co.
- Reuse Water for Power Plant Cooling Towers, J. Neilson and R. Pharmer, Pharmer Engineering
- Constructed Wetlands and Vegetated Submerged Beds, A.J. Maupin, Idaho DEQ
- Created Wetland Treatment from an Owner's Perspective, Luke Austenfeld, Michigan YCamp
- City of LaGrande's Reuse Wetlands, 18 Years Later, Brett Moore, Anderson-Perry & Associates, Inc.
May 25, 2011: Rapid Infiltration
- An Overview of Rules for Rapid Infiltration, Richard Huddleston, Wastewater Program Manager, Idaho DEQ
- A Comparison of Two Different Case Histories in Arizona: The Tucson Sweetwater Underground Storage and Recovery Facility and the Mesa Northwest Water Reclamation Plant, Peter Fox, Arizona State University
- Hydraulic Characteristics and Nutrient Transport and Transformation beneath a Rapid Infiltration Basin – Orange County, Florida, David M. Sumner, USGS Florida
- Could There Be a Better Way? Nampa Infiltration, Steve Burgos, Brown and Caldwell & Michael Fuss, City of Nampa
- Murtaugh Case Study - RI Basins as Solutions for Small Towns, Mark Holtzen
- Rapid Infiltration Workshop, Al Wallace, University of Idaho
- Rapid Infiltration Basin (RIB) Design Considerations, Kirby Vickers, J-U-B Engineers, Inc.